ISO 20000-1 is one of the globally accepted and a popular international standard published by ISO. First published in 2005, today it is in its second edition. The ISO 20000-1:2011 standard is aligned to the Version 3 of the popular ITIL (Information Technology Information Library) framework.
While an ITIL framework describes the good practices of IT Service Management, ISO 20000-1 standard prescribes the criteria for a service management system that a service provider may want to build (please note that ISO 20000-1 is not limited only to IT service provider). Any type of service providing organization can refer to these criteria and develop its own service management system. Once all applicable criteria are addressed, the organization can get this service management system certified from a third party certification body.
An increasing number of organisations are implementing an IT Service Management System (ITSMS), based around ISO 20000 as a solution to this business requirement. By certifying to the IT standard companies are able to independently demonstrate to their customers that they are meeting (and sometimes exceeding) industry best practice.
The ISO 20000-1 standard Benefits organisations to
- ensure the effective running and delivery of IT services
- continually improve processes
- drive customer focus
- Certification to ISO 20000-1 IT service management ensures that your day to day service delivery is carried out in a way that drives customer satisfaction through improved service and leads to on-going continuous improvement.
SO 20000-1 helps the organizations build a strong customer focus and ensures consistent top management commitment. It also brings in a process approach wherein all processes in the system are managed for building efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Enhanced brand image – An ISO 20000-1 certified service organization is considered to be more reliable than the other similar organizations that are not certified. The certification is globally accepted and is gained by large as well as small organizations hence bring an equality in terms its positioning of brand reliability per say. The certification adds up to the brand recognition.
- Improved consistency and internal efficiency – The criteria prescribed by the ISO 20000-1 standard requires organizations to develop processes that bring consistency in service operations and support. The continual improvement efforts are mostly focused towards building efficiency in these processes. Over a period of time the organization witness improvement in the consistency within the business processes as well as the overall efficiency.
- Increase in the trust level of all interested parties – Interested parties of an organization include its customers, owners, employees, suppliers, bankers, etc. All these have certain expectations in terms of the performance of the organization. Due to the improved consistency of the organization after application of ISO 20000-1 based service management system, the organization performance becomes more and more reliable. As a result the trust level and confidence of all these interested parties get a boost.
- Structured approach – The 13 processes prescribed by ISO 22301 brings a structured approach in terms of managing service operations and support that includes management of customer requests and service incidents. The other processes that deeply integrate intro these core processes are information security, service continuity and availability, release and deployment of service components amongst other. Overall structure helps the service provider to professionally manage service delivery and support.
ISO 20001 Certification Process
GYR Technology helps the customers from initiation of the quality management system development till certification to ISO 20000-1. Following 12-step process describes the high level approach to implementation and certification
STEP 1: Preparation
If you are new to the ISO 20000:2011 standard you may require some guidance before you start. We run regular ISO training courses and have published a number of articles which cover tips related to successful preparation and implementation. When you’re ready, we’ll discuss your requirements and provide you with a competitive quotation so you can budget accurately. Your quotation will be based upon factors such as your organisation’s activities, how many locations you operate from and how many people you employ.
Once you are ready to start, it’s important that you familiarise yourself with the requirements of the standard
STEP 2: Application
Once you decide to proceed, we’ll assign a GYR ITSM Consultant to you. He or she will be your principal contact throughout the registration process and beyond. They will build up detailed knowledge of your organisation and will be able to answer any questions you might have. Many of our clients start with a Pre-assessment. This optional service is where we review your current circumstances as part of a Gap Analysis and agree an action plan with you.
STEP 3: Pre-Audit Assessment (known as Stage 1)
Your GYR ITSM Consultant will visit you to explain the standard and undertake a conformity assessment of your current arrangements for quality management. You will then receive a detailed report including all required actions. Together, you will then determine the appropriate timetable for your Audit Assessment.
STEP 4: Audit Assessment (known as Stage 2)
Once you are ready for your formal Audit Assessment, your GYR ITSM Consultant will make the required arrangements for you. On completion, you will be informed of the Auditor’s recommendation before he or she leaves your premises.
STEP 5: Registration & Certificate
Following the Auditor’s recommendation, your registration will be reviewed and if approved your certification will be confirmed. Soon after, your certificate of conformity to the ISO 20000:2011 standard will be issued and sent to you.
STEP 6: Continual Assessment
Having achieved certification, you’ll want to maintain your registration and your Lead Assessor will remain on hand to undertake the required annual reviews to ensure you continue to meet the requirements of ISO 20000:2011.
ISO 20000:2011 Certification Costs
We work with clients of all sizes and even if you are a one person business, we can help. With no long term contract to tie you in, we provide an affordable, transparent route to achieving ISO 20000:2011 certification.
Ultimately, your quotation will be based on factors such as your organisation’s activities, how many locations you operate from and how many people you employ (if any).
We provide all of our clients with a competitive quotation with no hidden extras. We won’t charge you for travel, registration fees or for your certificate (unlike many others).
Information technology — Service management — Part 1: Service management system requirements
ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011 is a service management system (SMS) standard. It specifies requirements for the service provider to plan, establish, implement, operate, monitor, review, maintain and improve an SMS. The requirements include the design, transition, delivery and improvement of services to fulfil agreed service requirements.
ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011 can be used by:
- an organization seeking services from service providers and requiring assurance that their service requirements will be fulfilled;
- an organization that requires a consistent approach by all its service providers, including those in a supply chain;
- a service provider that intends to demonstrate its capability for the design, transition, delivery and improvement of services that fulfil service requirements;
- a service provider to monitor, measure and review its service management processes and services;
- a service provider to improve the design, transition, delivery and improvement of services through the effective implementation and operation of the SMS;
- An assessor or auditor as the criteria for a conformity assessment of a service provider’s SMS to the requirements in ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011.